New Machine’s Ana Stefanovic profiles the new and emerging filmmakers screening in the 55th New York Film Festival’s official feature lineup, which kicks of September 27 and runs until October 15. Here we profile actor and director Greta Gerwig.
Greta Gerwig – Lady Bird
Official Synopsis: Greta Gerwig’s directorial debut, a portrait of an artistically inclined teenage girl (Saoirse Ronan) trying to define herself in the shadow of her mother (Laurie Metcalf), is rich in invention and incident, and powered by Ronan, 23 years old and one of the finest actors in movies.
About the Filmmaker:
- Greta Celeste Gerwig is a New York-based actress and filmmaker.
- She was born in 1983 in Sacramento, California.
- Greta has German, Irish, and English ancestry. She was raised as a Unitarian Universalist, but also attended an all-girls Catholic school. She has described herself as “an intense child”. At her all-girls Catholic high school she became a certified aerobics instructor and, at 16, a certified paralegal. She moved to New York in 2002.
- She graduated from Barnard College in NY, where she studied English and philosophy. As an actress Greta started performing at a young age but after meeting director Joe Swanberg, she became the star of a series of intellectual low budget movies made by first-time filmmakers, a trend dubbed “mumblecore”.
- She acted in such films as Damsels in Distress (2011), To Rome With Love (2012) and Frances Ha (2013). For her performance in Frances Ha, Gerwig was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for best actress in a comedy or musical.
- She co-written Mistress America and Frances Ha with Noah Baumbach, but she’s never directed a feature on her own until Lady Bird , she co-directed Nights and Weekends (2008) feature drama, with Joe Swanberg. The film was nominated for Best Leap from Actress to Director at Alliance of Women Film Journalists in 2008 and for Dia Sokol Savage at Film Independent Spirit Awards in 2010.
- Lady Bird is about adventures of a young woman (Saoirse Ronan) who dreams of escaping her small town Northern Californian life to go to college in New York .
Follow Greta on Facebook.